Not another links page!
No, no, no
There are so many AS sites with links already, it didn't make sense to duplicate all that. This is more about specific references quoted in The FooDoo Lounge, as well as a couple of other things I thought were worth noting.
The AppleScript Language Guide
The ASLG is the primary reference for information regarding the language itself. Whilst it hasn't been updated for some time, it is still quite current as the core language doesn't change particularly often. This is a Good Thing™.
If you use OS X and have installed the Developer Tools, you already have both of the above resources. As long as you've left them in the default installation location, these links should be valid on your machine.
Developer Tools under 10.3 and later also includes an index of pretty much all the available AS documentation.
Other Apple Resources
AppleScript does have other documentation, namely the two PDFs linked below. They are also both quite old, though like the ASLG, are still reasonably current.
- Script Menu - A menu bar script runner for OS X - limited by comparison to the OSA Menu and other script runners, but OK for some things
Other Useful References
- Satimage - Publishers of Smile, an excellent free AppleScript edtior
- LateNight Software - Publishers of ScriptDebugger, the premium pro editor
- Lazerware - Home of the OSA Menu, an excellent script runner for classic MacOS
- MacScripter - A good site for news, scripts & learning resources
- Code Exchange - MacScripter's repository of code snippets
- MACSCRPT - the other main list for scripting on Macs, not confined to AppleScript
Some of the people who inspire me whilst I slave over a lukewarm keyboard.
- George Clinton - "Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow" The original Funk Soul Brother.
- John Hiatt - "Sure I like country music / And I like mandolins / But right now I need a Telecaster through a Vibrolux turned up to 10." My kinda man.
- Joni Mitchell - Keeper of the Edifying Fire.
- David Murray - I dig sax players generally and this guy in particular.
- The Necks - I used to take drugs, now I listen to The Necks and read the Dalai Lama. Works for me...
- The Neville Brothers - What is it about New Orleans? Do they put funk juice in the water or something?
- Dan Penn - The only person in the universe who could wrest a song back from Aretha - his performance of (his own) "Do Right Man", from his 1994 album of the same name, is almost impossibly beautiful and it's arguably not even the best song on the record!. He's also a particularly fine man, who I helped bring to Australia for a national tour with Spooner Oldham in 1999.
- Bonnie Raitt - The only person in the universe who can sing like an angel and play slide guitar like the hounds of hell are on her tail.
- Frank Zappa - to quote Jon Pugh: "UNIX is like Zappa - it sort of transcends good & bad."
The FooDoo Lounge is Copyright © Richard Morton 2002-2005
|| url: http://www.foodoo.sunreal.com.au/links.html
|| created: 13-Nov-03, 11:39 PM; updated: 19-Aug-04, 6:12 PM
|| size: 17215 bytes